TAINAN, Taiwan - Jack Armijo (San Lorenzo, Calif.) struck out six batters in two innings on the mound and Team USA tied a program-record in runs scored as the team defeated Fiji, 28-0, at the 2019 World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) U-12 Baseball World Cup at Shan-Hwan Stadium in Tainan, Taiwan.
Team USA moved to 4-2 at the 2019 WBSC U-12 Baseball World Cup with the win, while Fiji fell to 0-6. The U.S. has outscored its opponents 87-19 through the first six games of play. Team USA registered 14 stolen bases in the game, topping the previous record of 13 against Colombia in 2016. The U.S. tied a program record in runs scored after plating 28 runs for the second time in the tournament.
Sebastian Segura (Spring, Texas) led Team USA offensively after going 3-for-3, with a double, and registering four RBIs on the day. Lucas Tinajero picked up his fifth multi-hit game of the tournament after going 2-for-4 at the plate. Nine players scored at least two runs in the game, while Dillon Adkins (Mechanicsville, Md.), John Dolan (Camarillo, Calif.) and Gustavo Melendez (Cayey, P.R.) scored four times each. Logan Shields (Manvel, Texas) led the team with five RBIs on the day, becoming the seventh player in program history to reach the milestone. Bryce Nixon (Huffman, Texas) tied a program record for most walks in a season with eight, after drawing two against Fiji.
Armijo (1-0) earned his first win of the 2019 WBSC U-12 Baseball World Cup after striking out six while allowing one hit in two innings of work. Jayden Stroman (Medford, N.Y.) entered the game in the third inning and pitched two scoreless innings before the game was called due to the international run rule. Fiji's George Lee (0-1) suffered the loss after 17 runs in one inning of work.
- Team USA led from start to finish after Bryce Nixon (Huffman, Texas) drew to lead off the game before scoring on a wild pitch. Gustavo Melendez (Cayey, P.R.) and Dillon Adkins (Mechanicsville, Md.) scored on a fielder's choice and a wild pitch to push the lead to 3-0 with no outs in the first inning.
- Team USA continued the scoring as Logan Shields (Manvel, Texas) hit a sacrifice fly to center field to bring home John Dolan (Camarillo, Calif.) before Sebastian Segura (Spring, Texas) and Jack McKernan (Missouri City, Texas) scored on a balk and a wild pitch, respectively, to extend the U.S. lead.
- The U.S. batted through the order twice in the bottom of the second as it scored 22 runs on 12 hits and six errors by Fiji, highlighted by RBI-doubles from Shields, Segura and McKernan.
- Shields and Segura drove in four runs in the inning, while four players recorded a pair of RBIs each.
- Starting pitcher Jack Armijo (San Lorenzo, Calif.) recorded all six putouts with a strikeout through the first two innings before Jayden Stroman (Medford, N.Y.) struck out three in the final two innings as the game was called due to the run rule.
- Team USA moved to 4-2 at the 2019 WBSC U-12 Baseball World Cup with the win, while Fiji fell to 0-6.
- Team USA now holds a 1-0 record against Fiji in international play.
- Jack Armijo (1-0) earned the win after striking out six while allowing one hit in two innings of work.
- Jayden Stroman allowed just one hit while striking out three in two innings of relief.
- Lucas Tinajero picked up his fifth multi-hit game of the tournament after going 2-for-4 at the plate.
- Tinajero is tied for second with 11 hits the first six games of the WBSC U-12 Baseball World Cup and while ranking third in batting average (.688) and on-base percentage (.773).
- Dillon Adkins scored his team-leading ninth run of the tournament against Fiji, placing him in a tie for fourth on the tournament leaderboards.
- Bryce Nixon drew his tournament-leading eighth walk against Fiji, tying a program record for the most walks in a season.
- Jayden Stroman leads the tournament with a perfect 0.00 ERA in three appearances on the mound. Teammate Brenden Lewis ranks second with a 0.67 ERA.
- Lewis leads all pitchers at the 2019 WBSC U-12 Baseball World Cup in innings pitched (9.0) and is tied for first with two wins.
- Team USA continues play at the 2019 WBSC U-12 Baseball World Cup on Thursday, August 1, against Czech Republic. First pitch is slated for 2:00 a.m. ET at from ASPAC B Stadium in Tainan, Taiwan.
- The U.S. will wrap up the 2019 WBSC U-12 Baseball World Cup with a game against South Africa on Saturday, August 3, at ASPAC B Stadium in Tainan, Taiwan.
- Stay tuned to @USABaseball12U on Twitter and visit USABaseball.com for the most up-to-date news about the 12U National Team.