CARY, N.C. – Canes National utilized a nine-run second inning en route to its gold medal victory over the Burn Atlantic Navy 13-3 (4).
The two teams went scoreless in the first inning before Canes National jumped out to a commanding 9-0 lead in the second. Canes collected five walks, three singles, a hit-by-pitch, and a sacrifice fly along with taking advantage of multiple wild pitches to gather the nine runs.
Canes National tacked on four more runs in the top of the third, as Alex Harrington started the scoring with an RBI single to right field for his second run batted in of the contest. The team then capitalized on defensive miscues from Burn Atlantic Navy to tack on the other three runs of the frame.
Burn Atlantic Navy showed some fight in the bottom of third as Aiden Arnett collected the lone extra-base hit of the game via an RBI double to right field. Luke Labbe drew a bases-loaded walk and Chandler Dantzler gave a third run for his squad by sending a sacrifice fly to right field.
Colton Haire started on the mound for Canes, as he tossed three innings and scattered five hits across three runs with four strikeouts for the win. Gary Gibson entered in the fourth inning and only needed eight pitches to secure the final three outs. Tyler Ellis suffered the loss by allowing six runs in one inning pitched.
How It Happened
- Brady Murrietta and Colton Haire led the top of the second inning with walks, respectively. Carson Bolemon laced a single into left field to bring Murrietta home for a 1-0 Canes lead.
- Canes National would go on to score nine runs in the second with five walks worked and a hit-by-pitch along with advantageous base running on a passed ball and wild pitch. Colton Haire capped the scoring off with a sacrifice fly to right field.
- Alex Harrington ripped an RBI single into right field, improving the Canes’ score to 10-0 in the top of the third.
- Canes National added one run on a dropped third strike pass ball and two more on an error at first base in the third, enhancing the lead to 13-0.
- Aiden Arnett drove a double out of reach of the right fielder with runners at first and second to score Burn Atlantic Navy’s first run of the game in the bottom of the third.
- Luke Labbe worked a walk with the bases juiced for Burn Atlantic Navy making it 13-2, and Chandler Dantzler added a sacrifice fly which brought the score to 13-3.
- The gold medal is the Canes’ first gold medal at the National Team Championships North Carolina in program history.
- Canes National completed their gold medal run with a tournament-best three home runs.
- Alex Harrington led Canes National with nine hits (9-for-19) and nine runs scored.
- Carson Quillen finished the tournament slashing .583/.700/.923 (7-for-13) with six walks.