AGUASCALIENTES, Mexico – Team USA (3-0) continued its strong start in the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) U-12 Baseball World Cup Americas Qualifier in Aguascalientes, Mexico, by defeating Cuba (1-2), 14-4, on Sunday evening to remain undefeated.
Zaylon Johnson and Greyson Wuis led the way offensively for the stars and stripes, while Jacob Miller shined on the mound. Johnson went 2-for-3 with two home runs, two RBIs and four runs scored, while Wuis added a team-high three RBIs on 2-for-3 hitting with a walk and three runs scored. Miller (1-0) worked 3.1 innings in relief, striking out four while giving up one run.
The 12U National Team international competition win streak extended to 15, dating back to 2019 with the victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Tyler Early got things going for Team USA, sending the second pitch of the game over the right field wall.
- Cuba answered in the bottom of the second by scoring on a wild pitch and a bases-loaded walk. Miller came on in relief and worked out of a bases-loaded jam to keep the score 2-1, Cuba.
- Johnson quickly tied the game at 2-2 with a solo home run in the top of the second.
- Team USA added three more in the top of the third, taking its first lead of the game at 5-2 thanks to a Leyland Henry home run, a Bryant Ju RBI, and Johnson’s second home run in as many innings.
- The red, white, and blue kept things going in the fourth with a sacrifice fly from Ju, an RBI-single from Wuis, a Cuba error, and a Jett Schoolcraft RBI-single, extending its lead to 9-3.
- Team USA took advantage of a few more Cuba miscues in the fifth, plating two on a throwing error and one on a wild pitch. Wuis capped off the five-run inning with a home run to deep right field, scoring Boston Targac, putting the U.S. up by double-digits, 14-3.
- Cuba’s comeback attempt fell short in the bottom of the fifth, scoring only one run via an RBI groundout, to end the game at 14-4.
- Team USA has now scored in every inning (15) of the WBSC U-12 Baseball World Cup Americas Qualifier.
- With the two-hit performance, Henry is now 4-for-5 in the event with three home runs, six RBIs, four walks, and three hit-by-pitches.
- Miller earned the win with 3.1 innings of relief, striking out four. He now leads the Americas Qualifier in strikeouts with seven.
- Henry, Johnson, Targac, and Wuis all recorded two hits on the day.
Team USA will face undefeated host Mexico under the lights on Monday in the next game of the WBSC U-12 Baseball World Cup Americas Qualifier. First pitch is set for 8:30 p.m. local/10:30 p.m. ET at Estadio Ferrocarrilero. Stay tuned to @USABaseball12U on Twitter for the most up-to-date news about the 2023 12U National Team.