AGUASCALIENTES, Mexico – Team USA (4-0) used seven home runs to defeat Panama (2-3), 18-8, Tuesday afternoon to stay undefeated in the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) U-12 Baseball World Cup Americas Qualifier in Aguascalientes.
After Monday night’s game against Mexico was suspended due to a power outage, Team USA came out swinging against Panama. Tyler Early (4-for-4, two home runs, two RBIs and two runs scored) and Leyland Henry Jr. (3-for-4, two RBIs) paced the offense while the pitching staff of Nathan Handley-White, Michael Ohman, and Jacob Miller (2-0) allowed just four earned runs.
The victory pushes the 12U National Team international competition win streak to 16, dating back to 2019.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Early took Panama deep on the third pitch of the game for his second leadoff home run of the WBSC U-12 Baseball World Cup Americas Qualifier and put the U.S. ahead, 1-0.
- Team USA put up 10 runs in the second inning. Boston Targac scored on a wild pitch, Henry followed with an RBI-single, and Zaylon Johnson cleared the bases with a grand slam. Two hitters later, Targac returned to the plate and hit a two-run home run to right field. Omar Henriquez scored on a wild pitch and a Henry hit-by-pitch scored Jett Schoolcraft to cap off the scoring, giving Team USA an 11-0 lead.
- Panama got onto the board in the bottom of the second with a solo home run to come within 10 at 11-1, Team USA.
- Two RBI-singles and a wild pitch gave Panama two more in the bottom of the third to cut Team USA’s lead down to single digits at 11-4.
- Early extended the stars and stripes’ lead in the top of the fourth with his second home run, making the score 12-4.
- In the bottom of the fourth, Panama capitalized on errors from Team USA to plate four and bring the score to 12-8.
- Henriquez responded in the top of the fifth, scoring Bryant Ju on a sacrifice fly to make the Team USA lead 13-8.
- The U.S. broke things open again in the top of the sixth as Greyson Wuis hit a 3-run home run and Ju followed with a 2-run home run for a five-run inning. Team USA took an 18-8 lead into the bottom of the sixth and closed out the game.
- Five different players for Team USA had multi-hit performances: Early (4), Henry (3), Targac (3), Johnson (2), and Knight (2).
- With the win, Miller moved to 2-0 and lowered his ERA to 0.75.
- Six different players for Team USA hit at least one home run.
- Team USA has now won three of its four games by double-digits.
Team USA will face the Dominican Republic on Wednesday morning in the next game of the WBSC U-12 Baseball World Cup Americas Qualifier. First pitch is set for 10:00 a.m. local/12:00 p.m. ET at Estadio Ferrocarrilero. Stay tuned to @USABaseball12U on Twitter for the most up-to-date news about the 2023 12U National Team.