In a pair of tightly-contested semifinal matchups Reed Johnson Baseball Academy and SBA 13U National Team punched their tickets to the gold medal game at the 13U National Team Championships in North Carolina. The contest is slated for a 10:30 a.m. first pitch at Coleman Field in Cary.
SBA Shuts Out USA Prime National, Advances to 13U Champs NC Gold Medal Game
CARY, N.C. – Dominant work on the mound by SBA 13U National Team’s (4-1) Luke Esquivel combined with the bat of Julian Martinez proved to be a deadly combination, as Esquivel took a no-hitter into the sixth and Martinez notched a 3-for-4 performance to shut out USA Prime National (4-1), 4-0.
With the win, SBA advances to the gold medal game where it will face Reed Johnson Baseball Academy in a battle for the title of champion.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- SBA National tacked on two early runs as a leadoff walk to Isaiah Cador came around to score after Martinez notched the first hit of the ball game. A double to the right-center gap placed Caden Borcherding in scoring position and then to home plate after a sacrifice bunt followed by a sacrifice fly off the bat of Hudson Simmons.
- Scoring took a pause for a couple innings until an attempted double steal in the fifth registered the third out of the inning, but not before SBA’s Martinez was able to score the third run.
- SBA added its fourth and final run in the sixth as its effective small-ball approach paid dividends once again. A sacrifice bunt advanced Trendyn Motley to third, who then came around to score after Adrian Villela drove an 0-2 offering to shallow left for a sacrifice fly.
- Esquivel went the distance for SBA National as he tossed 7.0 innings of one-hit ball while punching out six batters and allowing only two walks.
- SBA’s Martinez collected three hits in four at bats with a trio of singles, an RBI and a run scored.
- Jarod Flowers had himself a pair of singles and was 2-for-3 for SBA.
- The loss was assigned to Jaaron Frye who lasted 5.0 innings in his start for USA Prime. He gave up three earned runs while striking out three in the process.
- USA Prime catcher Colt Ward walked once and was responsible for the team’s lone hit with a one-out base knock to center in the sixth.
Sibolboro, Reed Johnson Defeat ZT Prospects to Earn Spot in 13U Champs NC Gold Medal Game
CARY, N.C. – Troy Sibolboro pitched 7.0 innings of one-run baseball to lead Reed Johnson Baseball Academy (4-1) to a 4-1 victory over ZT Prospects National (4-1) in the semifinals of the 13U National Team Championships in North Carolina.
With the win, Reed Johnson advances to the championship game of the event and will face SBA 13U National Team for a chance to win gold.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- RJBA got off to a hot start in the first inning, with Xavier Romero and Sibolboro scoring on an error by the first baseman on a ground ball by Jayson Marquez to give their team a 2-0 lead.
- RJBA doubled its lead to 4-0 in the top of the fifth when Nathan Reyes scored on a single by Marquez, and Marquez then scored on a line drive double to left field by Isaiah Bastardo.
- In the bottom of the sixth, Zachary Estrada drove in Jacob Gray with a hard-hit single to center field to plate ZT Prospects’ lone run of the game.
- On the bump, starting pitcher Sibolboro pitched 7.0 innings, allowing one run and striking out four for RJBA.
- Marquez led RJBA on offense, going 2-for-4 with a hit and RBI.
- Six different ZT Prospects players tallied a hit, and Estrada tallied the lone RBI for the squad.
- On the mound, ZT’s Dru Wilson took the loss after surrendering two unearned runs in 4.0 innings of work.