HERMOSILLO, Mexico. – The USA Baseball 15U National Team suffered its first loss, by the score of 12-6 on Tuesday at Estadio Sonora in Hermosillo, Mexico. The loss moves the U.S. to 1-1 in the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) U-15 Baseball World Cup after an opening round win over Puerto Rico carried over to the Super Round.
Team USA scored five in the first inning to take an early lead but could not overcome four combined errors in the bottom of the first and third as Japan scored 10 unearned runs. After a 50-minute rain delay in the bottom of the fourth inning, the stars and stripes added a run following back-to-back Japan errors. Japan responded with their first two earned runs of the game in the bottom of the sixth to close the door.
The U.S. collected eight hits on the night while the pitching staff recorded 10 strikeouts and only issued four walks. Japan used 12 hits and took advantage of six errors to defeat Team USA.
Andrew Costello (Fairview, Pa.) and Brady Murrietta (Yorba Linda, Calif.) each recorded two hits and scored a run on the night. Brady Ebel (Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.) collected two RBIs, scored a run and would’ve had two hits but Japan’s Ryuga Soto displayed quick reactions on a line-out comebacker to halt a rally in the sixth inning. Ethan Holliday (Stillwater, Okla.), Coy James (Advance, N.C.), and Alex Harrington (San Diego, Calif.) each had an RBI in the game.
Chase Bentley (Granite Bay, Calif.) had another strong outing despite getting tagged with the loss, pitching 2.2 innings with five strikeouts and one walk. Japan recorded seven hits and nine runs off Bentley, however, none of the runs were earned. Jack McKernan (Missouri City, Texas) pitched 2.2 innings in relief, limiting Japan to three hits and one earned run while punching out four.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brady Ebel put Team USA on the board in the first inning with a two-RBI single to center field to score Coy James and Andrew Costello who reached on a hit-by-pitch and a single through the right side, respectively.
- Brady Murrietta moved Brady Ebel to third with a single before Ethan Holliday used a fielder’s choice to send Ebel home and give Team USA a 3-0 lead.
- Alex Harrington laced an RBI-triple to the center field wall and took advantage of a throwing error to make the score 5-0 in Team USA’s favor.
- In the bottom of the third, two U.S. errors put runners on the corners, setting up three Japan singles and a double to tie the game at 5-5.
- In the bottom of the third, Japan used five hits and two Team USA errors to double the lead, putting the U.S. in a 10-5 deficit.
- Ryan Harwood singled through the left side with one out in the top of the fifth and came around to score after James Tronstein and Coy James reached on back-to-back errors to make the score 10-6 in Japan’s favor.
- Japan added the final two runs of the game in the bottom of the sixth with a single and heads-up base running.
- Andrew Costello and Brady Murrietta each recorded two hits and scored a run.
- Brady Ebel collected two RBIs on 1-for-3 hitting.
- Alex Harrington was responsible for Team USA’s only extra-base hit, lacing a triple to center field and scoring on a throwing error.
- Chase Bentley (0-1) was handed the loss after 2.2 innings of work to start the game, striking out five, walking one and giving up seven hits and nine runs, none of which were earned.
- Team USA drops 1-1 in the WBSC U-15 Baseball World Cup Super Round after the loss and a win over Puerto Rico that was carried over from the Opening Round.
The 2022 15U National Team will face Panama in the WBSC U-15 Baseball World Cup Super Round Thursday, September 1 at 4:30 pm ET/1:30 pm local time at Estadio Sonora in Hermosillo, Mexico.
Stay tuned to @USABaseball15U on Twitter for the most up-to-date news about the 2022 15U National Team.