CARY, N.C. – The Canes registered 13 hits on the day and Andrew Costello finished 2-for-3 with five RBIs in a 9-3 victory over Alpha Prime to win the gold at the 15U 2023 National Team Championships in North Carolina.
With the win, the Canes finished 5-1 in the tournament to bring home the hardware at the 15U National Team Championships. It is the second gold medal of the summer for Canes, who also claimed the title at the 17U event earlier this summer.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Canes managed to get two on the board early in the first. Grady Emerson homered to deep right and Brady Murrietta picked up an RBI single to score Costello, making it a quick 2-0 edge for the Canes.
- With the bases loaded in the bottom of the first, Alpha Prime cut the lead in half with a sacrifice fly from Josiah Morris to score Dillon Moss.
- The Canes plated a run in the third as Alex Harrington tagged up on a sacrifice fly from Costello to score.
- PRD responded again in the bottom of the third as Morris singled on a line drive down the middle to bring home Moss and put the score at 3-2.
- A walk and back-to-back singles loaded the bases for Costello to hit into a fielder’s choice and allow Brady Abate to score as the Canes’ lead became 4-2.
- The Canes pulled away in the seventh as Costello knocked one deep into right field to pick up a three-run RBI standing triple. Two more runs would score off an RBI single from Haire and a balk by the Alpha Prime pitcher to make it a 9-2 ball game.
- Sammy Kane led off the bottom of the seventh with a triple as he sent one deep into center for PRD. Austin Finegan then grounded out to second to score Kane but that was all they mustered as they ultimately fell short to the Canes 9-3.
- Murrieta was a standout in the Canes’ lineup, going 3-for-3 with an RBI and a walk.
- Harrington was also stout at the plate, posting a 3-for-4 day with two doubles and scored twice.
- Emerson finished the game 2-for-3 with an RBI and a 432-foot home run in the first inning.
- Ty Mobely started on the mound for the Canes, pitching four innings with one strikeout and walking zero batters.
- Moss led the Alpha Prime offense with a 4-for-4 day with four singles and a run.
- Morris went 1-for-2 with two RBIs that put Alpha Prime on the board in the first and third inning.
- The Alpha Prime offense finished the game with 11 hits.
Canes National’s gold medal victory concludes the action at the 2023 15U National Team Championships in North Carolina.