AGUASCALIENTES, Mexico – Team USA (1-0) launched five home runs and threw a collective no-hitter on the way to a 16-1 victory over Brazil (0-1) in its opening game of the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC) U-12 Baseball World Cup Americas Qualifier in Aguascalientes, Mexico.
Four different players had a multi-RBI performance with Ryder Serna going 2-for-2 with two home runs and five RBIs to lead the way.
The victory kicked off a stretch of seven games in as many days in the opening round of the Americas Qualifier. Additionally, the result marked the 13th consecutive win for the 12U National Team in international competition, dating back to 2019.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The red, white, and blue started the game with seven runs in the bottom of the first. Leyland Henry launched a home run to left field to plate the first three and two Brazil errors followed to make the lead 5-0. Serna plated Boston Targac with his first home run of the day to close out the inning.
- Maddox McBryde kept the momentum going in the bottom of the second, sending a ball over the left field fence to plate Henry. Serna followed suit with his second home run of the day, scoring three to make things 12-0 in favor of the U.S.
- Despite Team USA throwing a combined no-hitter, Brazil was able to plate a run after a walk, balk, and wild pitch in the top of the third.
- The stars and stripes quickly responded with three more runs in the bottom of the frame, this time thanks to a Nathan Handley-White three-run home run to make things 15-1.
- After a quick shut down top of the fourth, the U.S. only needed one run to end the game via run-rule. Colton Byrnes started the inning off with a single, and scored the winning run on an error two batters later.
- Team USA recorded five home runs that came from: Henry, Serna (2), Maddox, and Handley-White.
- The pitching trio of Jacob Miller, Cooper Knight, and Michael Ohman combined for eight strikeouts and no hits while allowing just one run.
- Ohman (1-0) was credited with the win after pitching one inning and striking out three on 11 pitches.
Team USA will face Venezuela in the next game of the WBSC U-12 Baseball World Cup Americas Qualifier. First pitch is set for 3:00 p.m. local/5:00 p.m. ET at Cecadi, Ojocaliente. Stay tuned to @USABaseball12U on Twitter for the most up-to-date news about the 2023 12U National Team.